Carol Ross at Ordinary Life, Extraordinary Living has a great post up entitled What I Know Now About Being Self-Employed. Jump over to her site to read more of Carol’s insights, but her list of what she’s learned so far on this journey of self-employment also works pretty well as a set of guidelines for work within organizations, or in life overall:
- Work with the best people you can find.
- Start conversations with people you admire.
- Ask for feedback.
- Know who your ideal clients are and why they are attracted to you.
- Do your homework but don’t over prepare.
- Create a network of supporters.
- Give away flowers.
- Hang around irreverent people.
- Be willing to give up good work in order to do great work.
Her list and insights both gave me some new food for thought and also rang true with my experience as a solopreneur – how about you?
What have you learned so far on your journey to make a difference?